Re: X Config Problems w/ RH 8.0 and GeForce4

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 11:52, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> > The EDID support in XFree86 (EDID is "Plug-n-Play for monitors",
> > basically) has been slightly controversial in the past.
>
> My SuSE 8.1 incorrectly thinks my generic monitor (EMC Multisystems 765)
> is a Proview 770 for some reason. The Proview does 1280x1024@70hz.
> Mine does not. So unless I make SuSE use the generic monitor, I get a blank
> screen. This probably explains it.

Most likely.  Does it actually use generic settings that way?  Usually,
the refresh rate for generic is headache-inducing conservative.

You should be able to use SuSE's autoconfig thingie, and then restrict
the modes in XF86Config in the "Screen" section, "Display"
subsection(s).

--
Jeff Licquia <jeff@licquia.org>