Re: grub vs. lilo

Previously Marcelo Medici (gaucho@ericps.crc.uiuc.edu):

> In a old server lilo.conf config, I used
>
>  append = "console=tty0 console=ttyS0"
>
> to send console output to both video card and serial. Can this be done
> with grub?

Add it to the kernel command line, or globally, add it to the #kopt line
eg
# kopt=root=/dev/hda3 console=tty0 console=ttyS0

> Since it is graphical in nature, will this work?

Grub doesn't have to be graphical, at least the version that I'm using
is text based.

 If not, is
> there an easy manner of switching from using grub to using lilo as the
> boot control?

Whoever performed your labotomy should be able to help you :).
Properly configured, they both work.  Improperly configured, (which if
you don't run lilo after installing a new kernel, lilo is improperly
configured).  Grub does not need to be reconfigured when installing a
new kernel, and even if grub is misconfigured, you can usually boot using
the command prompt in grub.  With lilo you'd need a boot/recover floppy (or CD).

Mark