Re: Linux Thin Clients

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 23:08, Benjamin Story wrote:
> I'm working on setting up a bootable CD that would turn any machine
> into a linux thin client for RDP, ICA and AS/400.  I've found a cool
> project called PXES that does this using a network boot, but that
> won't work in my environment since we have a highly segmented
> network.
>
> I've tried making PXES initrd.img's using the pxesconfig program from
> pxes.sourceforge.net and using ISOLINUX to boot them, but after the
> kernel finishes it's normal messages, it ends with something about not
> being able to open the initial terminal.

Can you post the actual kernel messages?  There are a lot of things that
could be going wrong here.

I suspect that the system is mounting the wrong path for the root
filesystem, and is freaking out when /dev disappears after pivot.  But
that's pure speculation.

> Does anyone have any ideas for alternative projects or on how to
> troubleshoot that error?  I would use a simple bootable CD and just
> type rdesktop server.blah.com but I don't think the intended users
> would find that as intuitive as just seeing a W2K screen pop up like
> PXES does.

You might check Knoppix (knoppix.de).  It's not exactly what you want,
but it might be closer than what you have now.