Re: Steve - Hardware Question

It's odd... I got the laptop working again but had to jump through hoops
to do it plus I was a bit lucky.

It appears it wasn't the HD after all. It was a corrupt bios.

If your interested in how I came about the resolution to the problem
here it is.

With the HD plugged in... the system would light up and you got the
Compaq logo and then it would go blank.

Take out the HD and the Compaq boot logo would show up and stay.  I
think the floppy drive is bad so I couldn't boot from that but I could
boot from an old win98 cd as long as the HD wasn't plugged in.

But since there was no HD installed I couldn't go anywhere from there.

On the Compaq support site I dl'd the documentation and there was
mention about the system locking during the posting process because of
the bios becoming corrupt.

So I downloaded the latest bios, burnt a bootable CD then burnt the
rompaq.exe rom upgrade onto a separate cd.

The cd was able to boot to a dos prompt. I switched CD's to the one that
had the rompaq bios update. Ran it and it was successful.

I poped the hd back in and it now works.

Hmmmm I really hate to admit that it's working because it will develop
another problem. :-)

Thanks for responding to my query concerning the extra HD

--John