Re: Sendmail Quandry

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 08:33:40AM -0600, Erving Blake wrote:
> What I want it to do is this:
> 1) Accept incomming email for people on my net ie...  theboss@64.198.89.220
> or al@64.198.89.220 (I currently dont have my domain name pointing to this
> server)..

That's just not going to work.

Mail is *very* tied to DNS.  If you want to skip using DNS, you'll
need to wrap every IP address with [], so like
theboss@[64.198.89.220].  It's easier to just make up a domain name,
although it's easier and cheaper in the long run (because of the time
it will take to fix everything and retrain everyone) to blow the $15
(<plug>the price we charge, see www.kspei.com</plug>) on a domain name
to use for email.

> 2) relay mail comming from my internal network to the internet.

You just need to put an appropriate entry in /etc/mail/access (like
"192.168.1\tRELAY", where \t is a tab character, *not* a space), then
run make in /etc/mail.

Of course, I'm talking about Red Hat here...  It's entirely possible
that the procedure will be different on other distributions.

> 3) REJECT others sending mail FROM the internet TO the internet. Tired of
> being a spam server.

That's the default on any reasonably modern sendmail installation.  If
you aren't running a reasonably modern sendmail (or a reasonably
modern Linux distribution), being used as a spam relay is the least of
your problems...

Seriously, the default configuration on any recent version of Red Hat
will get you 99% of the way there...  You just need to comment out the
DaemonPortOptions line in /etc/sendmail.cf, add that one line to
/etc/mail/access, and it will work.  (Well, except for the whole DNS
thing, which is another issue entirely.)