Re: BSDCon 2003 (fwd)

> *Sigh* Why can't we get a big convention in St. Louis or Indianapolis? Oh
> well.
>
> brandon, wanting to live in california

Yeah, what is it about CA? I read once that part of the appeal of Apple
was that it was (is) in "sunny CA", which evokes images of movie stars and
surfer dudes, unlike dreary Seattle.

Could you imagine anything "cool" starting up in IL or IN? Would the
locals even accept it?

CA has a huge population base -- that may be part of it, right there. Add
in the disproportionately large amount of military R&D going on, plus all
of the tech schools, and you've got an unusually large group of skilled
workers. Plus, they have some of the Western can-do, gung ho attitude,
whereas the Midwest is more conservative.