Re: One more on California...

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 21:11, Jay Link wrote:
> Another thing California has going for it is actual hardware
> manufacturing. That creates all sorts of opportunities.
>
> Does anyone know if there's any particular reason why hardware isn't dealt
> with much elsewhere in the US? You have Texas Instruments, and maybe Dell,
> but what else? Seems like hardware would be a tremendous boon to the
> Southeast, for example.

IBM is in New York, and they have big doin's in Texas; you don't get any
bigger than IBM.  You mentioned TI and Dell, also in Texas.  ATI is in
Canada, and Gateway is somewhere in the Dakotas.  A lot of stuff was
based around Boston (though the biggest example, DEC, is no more).

> There *is* some board manufacturer in Spfld called Phoenix something or
> another, but I don't know if one minor player counts. Where are the HPs
> and Intels and such, outside of CA?

HP has stuff going in Colorado, at least.  I think Intel has stuff
happening in the Seattle area.
--
Jeff Licquia <jeff@licquia.org>