Re: BSDCon 2003 (fwd)

> I know of some brilliant people there, and used to work with someone who
> might still be there.

I agree there -- I have, as well. BUT, not to beat this into the ground,
Werner Von Braun, the Nazi rocket scientist, was brilliant -- does this
make the 3rd Reich kosher?

> They also did NCSA Telnet, the first TCP/IP stack and utilities for
> MS-DOS.  Very cool - indeed, invaluable - in its time.

That's right -- forgot about that one.

> UIUC (although not NCSA, as I recall) is also the original home of
> Eudora.  The original O'Reilly book on the Internet was written by a
> UIUC sysadmin

Ed Krol, right?

> That's probably true of most universities these days.  Not everyone can
> be MIT. (ducks)

Well, you have a point, though. MIT does some truly outstanding stuff.

> Heh.  You think Cali-funny doesn't have an ego problem?

True, indeed. But they have something to back it up with!  :-)

> That's what is really wrong with Illinois and Indiana both.  UIUC isn't
> really a slouch, and Purdue is really hot in certain areas.  But take
> the distance from, say, Champaign and Chicago, and compare that to the
> distance from Cambridge to Boston, or Berkeley to San Francisco.  The
> big-city resources are right there next to the think tanks.  That's what
> breeds success, in my book.

Yeah -- there's a good point. I think you've hit on something there.