	From: Robert Threet [mailto:rthreet@yahoo.com]
	Sent: Sun 2/23/2003 1:45 PM
	To: luci
	Subject: test network DNS server w/o Internet access: Is it possible?

	I have a Slackware 8.0 box and I'm trying to set up a test network
	with a bogus DNS server so that the three servers on this standalone
	network can "think" that they are resolving their names.  Can this
	work or do I have to have an Internet connection for the DNS server?
	Anything special need to be done (i.e. remove named.cache reference?)

	For example:

	www 10.1.1.1
	mail   10.1.1.2
	ns1     10.1.1.3

	All three use ns1 for DNS.  It doesn't work (most likely the DNS
	config).

	[P.S. - The "Why?"]  I'm doing a migration to new hardware that
	requires the target have the same FQDN as the original.  I can't
	install on the new system unless it resolves itself as the old name
	and IP address.  Until I have the product installed, I can't (of
	course) migrate the data.

	=====
	http://linux.usi.edu:8080/LUG  Web Log
	http://linux.usi.edu/rat/  My Page