Re: pppd + pam

Jeff Licquia wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 17:49, Danny Sauer wrote:
>
>>So, I need to set up a dial-in server with a pair of internal modems.
>>I'm having a heck of a time finding out how to get pppd to either use
>>PAM as the auth mechanism

[...snip...]

> Debian's pppd is PAM-aware.  If RH's is, libpam should show up in the
> ldd output.
>
> If you're PAM-aware, it's simple.  Just make sure /etc/pam.d/ppp matches
> whatever your normal scheme is for user management, and set your users
> to use PAP for PPP authentication.  If not, you'll have to rebuild pppd
> with PAM support, but that shouldn't be hard.

Oh, duh.  For some reason I was thinking that pppd would just directly
read /etc/passwd (or getpwent et. al) instead of using PAM.  All of the
howtos and stuff kept mentioning the passwd file and nothing about PAM,
so it just didn't occur to me to check with ldd.  Sigh.  The stock pppd
is in fact linked against libpam, so it probably works just fine.  One
would think that they'd mention PAM support in the docs somewhere
obvious so I wouldn't make myself look stupid. ;)

Thanks to you and Mike for the PAM config howto as well, though I do
already know how that much works.  You wouldn't know it from the way my
question sounded, though. :)

--Danny, trying to find an "E-Z setup guide for linux dial-in servers
supporting MS clients" now...