Re: pppd + pam

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 11:03, Danny Sauer wrote:
> --Danny, trying to find an "E-Z setup guide for linux dial-in servers
> supporting MS clients" now...

For most things, Microsoft dial-ins are the same as any other dial-ins.
Just set the ms-dns parameter in your options file to pass on the name
server.  Of course, you can't use CHAP.

If you're setting up some kind of corporate dialup, you probably want to
look at setting up PAM for pppd to talk to the NT domain or Active
Directory.  For the former, look at pam-smb.  For the latter, the LDAP
stuff works if you use a recent OpenLDAP, SASL, and Kerberos; a Google
search should turn up some HOWTOs.  If you're doing NT domains, you
might also need to point the ms-wins parameter to your WINS server.

To give you an idea how well this works: Steve and I replaced a
Microsoft Remote Access Server dialup server with Linux at a previous
job years ago, and it worked so well and so transparently that our boss
congratulated us for "fixing the RAS server".
--
Jeff Licquia <jeff@licquia.org>