Re: Hard Drives and Old Motherboards

Tim,

8.4GB was one of the BIOS limitations that I remember.  It seems to me
however that I have used larger drives before as secondary drives
because Linux doesn't use the BIOS to recognize the drives.  I could
just be having fond memories of things that never happened, but maybe
not.

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 05:08:08PM -0600, Tim McDonough wrote:

> Between a recent gift of an old PC, scrounging through my collection of old
> memory, drives, and other parts I have a dedicated box loading RH 8.0 as I
> type.
>
> Before you laugh bear in mind my total cash outlay at this point is $1.00 for
> a cable I didn't have and purchased at the Taylorville Hamfest earlier today.
>
> 200 MHz (not a fire breather)
> 128 MB RAM
> CD-ROM
> 2.5GB Hard Drive
> 10/100 Ethernet card
> Cirus Video Card (looks like RH is happy with it)
>
> The killer here is the rather wimpy 2.5GB drive. I have a 5GB drive that I
> can add as a second drive. (I didn't find it until after I started the
> installation.)
>
> Question: With one of these older BIOS computers what's normally the biggest
> HD they will deal with? It won't recognize a 30 GB I tried. 7.5 GB total is
> probably plenty for this test mule but I'm just curious. The BIOS date on the
> POST is 1995.
>
> Tim

Benjamin Story

() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML email and Microsoft-specific
/\ attachments. If I wanted to read HTML, I would have visited your website!
Support open standards.