Re: Hard Drives and Old Motherboards

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 05:24:53PM -0600, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> Prior to the current limit of 160GB, I believe the previous
> limit was 2.1GB.  IIRC, the 2.1GB limit is only per partition,
> so if you create multiple partitions, each under the limit,
> you shouldn't have any problems.

I think you're getting some of your numbers confused.  There's a nice
little list of various BIOS IDE limits here:

    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.2

BTW, note that most of the limits can be worked around quite nicely by
putting /boot on a partition below the 1024 cylinder limit (a small
first partition for /boot works best), and then specifying the actual
geometry of the drive to the boot loader.