Re: Hard Drives and Old Motherboards

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:28:06 -0600 (CST), Marcelo Medici wrote:
>Amazing. I think I was doing the exact same thing as you at the
>exact same time :) almost the exact same equipment!
>Did your bios freeze up during boot when it came time to recognize
>the large drive? Mine does. Just curious to know if this is
>something you encountered or just myself.

Hi Marcelo. When the BIOS tried to autodetect the 30 GB drive it froze but I
hit escape to continue on. The Linux install software saw the drive and said
it was 30 GB but it showed up as device hdb instead of hda. A 2.5 GB drive
configured identically and attached to the same connector on the cable is
detected by the BIOS and Linux says it's hda.

Linux went through all the normal configuration, claimed to partition the 30
MB drive etc. Once the install started the computer would repeatedly freeze
after 10-20 packages had been installed on the drive.

I repeated the same installation with the little 2.5 GB and the system
installed perfectly and has run about 16 hours now without a hint of a
problem.

Observation: Even with 128 MB of RAM a 200 MHz system is painfully slow
running KDE. I'm sure this is a combination of a slower processor and more
importantly a fairly crude video card. Oh well, didn't expect much and I
shouldn't grumble about an almost free machine!

Tim