Re: PXE, Etherboot, and Frustration

> To make matters worse, Donald Becker says that this
> chip was mostly miswired in the Dells which makes them not behave as
> they should.

Good. Donald Becker is "da man" on this networking stuff. :=)
You're talking to the right people, then.

> <satire>
> Dell Guy: We need some cheap network cards for our new computers.
> Supply Guy: Ok
>
> <in an alley>
> Supply Guy: Got the merchandise?
> Shady Guy: Yup, got a whole box full.
> Supply Guy: Good, here's your $50.
>
> <in 3com's corporate board room>
> CEO: Did we dispose of those bad chips?
> Underling: Yeah we got some panhandler to take them.  He gave us $10
> to use them as key chains or something.
> </satire>

Hey, "Underling" is really "Shady Guy" by night, ... and will be the next CFO.
Do the math... :=)

In practice, it's more like:

Dell Guy: We need lots of NIC chips cheap. What can you do for us?
3Com Guy: We got 'em. Apply your discount and they're $$NDA$$ per thousand.
Dell Guy: Ouch. We're not Gates over here. Can you find any more discounts?
3Com Guy: Well, there's these chips that failed our ISO9001 QA. Interested?
Dell Guy: Are they cheaper than the "real" ones?
3Com Guy: Of course. And I'll even knock off some more if you want to handle
          any warranty issues.
Dell Guy: Where do we sign? We'll save millions! 3Com, you're "da bomb!".

3Com Guy: Hey. It's "business". You understand.
(That's [insert-group-of-choice-well-known-for-business-acumen] for "fsck-u").

Dell Guy: Wait 'till the Supply Chain VP gets a load of me!

Mike808/