Re: Linux plus XP

I read somewhere that you should let WinXP handle the dual boot process but weather or not this is actually the best way to go I'm not sure.

Concerning Partition Magic and XP:

I don't know if this will be helpful but since I deal with it a lot... If you leave yourself with about 10 gigs on the first partition then you'll usually have ample room for XP and any programs you need on a day to day basis.

I can fit XP Pro, Corel 9, MS office, Photoshop, Norton system works Net Objects Fusion and several other programs within 10 gigs and still have room to spare.

Partition magic works very well and it's never failed me. I use it on all my installs of XP so I can image the first XP partition onto CD's and/or a file on the second partition and then I have the user save all user data on the second partition so if XP needs to be restored  (and it eventually will need to be restored due to a Konk-U-Lator malfunction)  then the user data is safe from the restore operation.

Just make sure to also assign the Documents and settings to the second partitions or you will lose your favorites or anything the user places on the desktop during the restore operation.

You may also want to assign your virtual memory file to the second partition also or tell your drive imaging software to exclude it. No sence backing up a 700 meg virtual mem file.

Erich Schroeder <erich@museum.state.il.us> wrote ..