enabling STARTTLS on Redhat 7.3

I am using sendmail-8.11.6-25.73 on Redhat 7.3. Reading through
/usr/share/sendmail-cf/README, it appear that enabling TLS is easy as
adding the appropriate calls to your certificates to an .mc file and using
m4 to generate a new .cf
When this is done, sendmail complains that there is no TLS support:

Warning: Option: CACERTPath requires TLS support
Warning: Option: CACERTFile requires TLS support
Warning: Option: ServerCertFile requires TLS support
Warning: Option: Serverkeyfile requires TLS support

Does sendmail need to be recompiled for this to occur?
I have found a decent howto on enabling TLS, and it makes reference to
adding

APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_ENVDEF', `-DSTARTTLS')
APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_LIBS', `-lssl -lcrypto')

to the site.config.m4 file. It does not appear that this changes matters
when generating a new .cf file. I also tried adding these lines to my
ostype linux.m4 file, but still no change.

Thank you.