Re: Copy Protected Disk

The company doesn't seem open to American copyright fair use laws.
They are a Canadian company and they offered to sell me a backup disk
for the same price as the original (how nice).

I've tried to use open source alternatives (etherboot), but
unfortunately the set of machines in question has a motherboard on
which all of the NIC chips are miswired.  This causes problems with
etherboot and I didn't find anyone who had figured out a way to work
around it.  The company's disk however, worked which saved me some
headaches considering that I'm not a C or ASM programmer that could
fix etherboot.

I will say however that these PXE boot disks work great with PXES
(Linux Thin Client) from pxes.sourceforge.net

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:01:51PM +0000, mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> > I was recently forced to buy software to make my old workstations boot
> > PXE.  The software comes in the form of a bootable floppy.  I could
> > like to make a couple backup copies as I don't trust floppies.
> > Unfortunately the disks are copy protected to the point that a dd
> > if=/dev/fd0 of=disk.img produces a bad copy.  Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> Write the publisher and explain to them your concerns.
> Ask them how you should go about exercising your fair use rights to make such a
> backup. Explain to them that you are certain their company is a fine one,
> but given the recent economic market, you cannot really take the risk of placing
> your company's future in the fate of their ability to support this product.
>
> Perhaps you can purchase backup floppies from them. Do so and place them in a
> safe. Ask them if this ability to produce these magic floppies is held in
> escrow, just in case they sell out to a competitor or shutters its doors?
>
> If that doesn't help, ask your shareholders or management if those scenarios
> don't scare the willies out of them by placing so much risk into these
> floppies operating properly - with NO recourse. Remember those "No warranty",
> "AS IS", and "not fit for any purpose" clauses in the license you agreed to?
>
> Surely there is a much lower risk Open Source solution available to you.
>
> Does this help?
> http://www.kano.org.uk/projects/pxe/
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php
> http://www.nilo.org/
>
> Mike808/

Benjamin Story

() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML email and Microsoft-specific
/\ attachments. If I wanted to read HTML, I would have visited your website!
Support open standards.