LUCI Meeting Tuesday Agenda

Erich Schroeder <erich@museum.state.il.us> wrote ..

>   Along with the usual general discussions, I thought I would demonstrate
> the new features to phpMyAdmin, a general web-based interface to the
> relational database MySQL.

I was fooling around with MySQL and actually got somewhere with it.

When I realized that MS Access had a limitation of 255 charactors in any given field. I couldn't figure a way around this limitation and I realized this wouldn't allow for the long descriptions I was going to need space for.

So I started looking at MySQL and it didn't take me long to realize that manually setting up a database, tables etc... through the command line is restricted to aliens. (People with advanced minds)

I looked at several MySQL GUI clients such as MySQL-Front as well as phpMyAdmin.

So... I'm looking forward to this evenings demo and discussion.

Ok now I'm just going to babble.

phpMyAdmin looked extremely cool but the installation looked like a daunting task for a newbie like me so I set it aside until I could gain the experience to actually install it without screwing up my "working" server. I don't have the expertise to get the server working again in a timely manner if I mess it up too bad so I shy away from the stuff which appears to be too far over my head.

In the MySQL quest I found that there doesn't seem to be a good data entry client. The clients seem to be geared towards maintenance of the databases rather than fast and fluid data entry.

Most databases allow you to create data entry screens which allow the fluid entry of data and anticipate the users next move etc...

In the case of MySQL it appears that the best way to get the data in is to do the data entry offline and then import it into MySQL.

These are only my observatios as a newbie so I'm probably short sighted.