Re: virtual hosts with own cgi-bin?

Danny Sauer <cloudmaster@cloudmaster.com> wrote ..

> That's pretty much how I generally do it - though my scheme is to set up
> a directory for each virtual host - /home/www/www.domain.com - and
> within that directory make 2 subdirs, "docs" and "cgi-bin".  The "docs"
> dir is the server root and cgi-bin is ScriptAlias'd to /cgi-bin.  I

> mostly do that because I don't like aliasing a virtual path over the top
> of a real path - that kind of thing can only come back to bite you later.

Thanks for the insite Danny.

So it's not the best idea to place a users site within a sub dir of their home dir?

If user robert has a sub diretory called website in his home directory.

If I alias the cgi-bin to:
/home/robert/website/cgi-bin

this may come back to bite me?

I'm pretty new at this so if it's not a long answer...

If it is a long answer... and you know of any docs you could point me to which refer to similar situations I am greatful :-)

The reason I started putting websites in users homes because I found that usermin, a mod of webmin has a nice java filemanager which jails the user to their home so I only had to worry about one root user "ME" getting the system goofed up.

I couldn't figure out how to let users log on and keep them jailed to certain directories.

So I started placing all these file within the users home since they could get to them in their home directory through usermin's filemanager.

If this is bad I would like to revise my thinking before it gets too out of hand.

--John