Re: What is that rbl Eric?

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 06:29:36PM -0500 or thereabouts, Erich Schroeder wrote:
> Sorry, didn't read my mail right away. My spamstats currently look like:

Cool, thanks, very interesting statistics... yes, it was list.dsbl.org
that I was curious about... I also find that spamcop does the best job,
(right after my own rbl), and have never had legit mail blocked by them,
yet.. They even pick up the "quickies" from new IP addresses from Canada,
etc, as they hit, and are not on the other RBLs yet. Had very good success
with them. Another one I want to try is proxies.relays.monkeys.com Some
big mail servers in Europe use this.

Thanks for the info...

> 27% of all mail blocked.

Seems like a lot .. amazing..

> bl.spamcop was always the highest. list.dsbl.org was the one I added
> during the last meeting, and was what was showing highest in Steves's
> listing.

Ah, okay, that is why I saw it on top.. I just came into the room then.

>Relays.ordb.org hasn't caught anything new in a couple of weeks,
> but then it is listed last in my sendmail.m4. My local rules are mostly
> just when I get mad at a particular spammer and add them to my
> /etc/mail/access file.

I use my own rbl first, and this accounts for about 70-75% of the
permanent 553 block given at the SMTP level, then it moves down the line
to the next RBL.

> We have had a problem with some legitimate mail being blocked by
> list.dsbl.org. We had a teacher whose home account was with a local ISP in
> Beardstown blocked from us. Other spam-blocking services didn't show that
> ISP as having an open relay but list.dsbl.org did.

Interesting... some RBLs will block off the entire 0/24 addresses for just
one IP address, which is wrong, but they do it anyway... I will check it
out., what their policy is..

--
Gary

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?