Re: Insight Broadband

Well, I got my Insight connection yesterday, and even though I had said on the phone, and it was
written on my order sheet that I use Linux, the guy handed me the standard Mac/Win CD, and of
course I got the non-routable private IP when I tried to connect.

Tried the web registration didn't work. Called customer report, confused the first level support
and was told I would have to talk to a level 2 tech, who would call me back within 24 hours.
Boredom and an old windows install resulted in me setting it all up with their install CD, and
pulling the NIC and putting it into my linux box before they called me back. When they did call me
back thusly was the explanation.

A 'non-authorized' MAC address (on your NIC) will get an unrouteable IP. This will allow you to
reach their website and register your machine. You can enter your account and registration number,
verify your details, and hit the magic Next button to finalise your install.

However at this point, Insight try and insert proxy settings into your browser, so you can
register an email account, and finish the install. If you don't register your email account you
don't get a connection it seems. These inserted proxy settings are designed for IE. and will not
work under linux, though perhaps you could enter them manually.

Once you've completed this step your machine (Windows) will reboot, and you'll come up and DHCP a
real IP address, and no longer require proxy settings in your browser.

According to the Level 2 tech, the only time you need the proxy settings are in the setting up of
the account, after that you can even change your MAC address etc. from the online pages. I haven't
tried this as I'm happy it works already.

So it looks like for linux installs you have two choices:

1. Try and get the proxy settings from Insight and insert them at the appropriate stage.
2. Request the cable tech brings a laptop with him, setup using that, then switch MAC addresses.
Or borrow Windows machine from some other source (when will they do a Knoppix style windows for
these occasions?)

herbie

=====