Postfix problem...

OK, Installed Redhat 9.0 and postfix several months ago... Had LOTS of
problems with Redhat 9 in many areas... Created a *different* server and
installed Redhat 7.2 on it... All seems to work ok except postfix.

Installed postfix from an RPM. *copied* the configuration files from the box
running Redhat 9 into the /etc/postfix directory..
Changed the Redhat 9 box's IP addy and gave its old addy to the new box with
RH 7.2

Here is what it is doing now:
    1) Any mail intended to be delivered to root is delivered to user "al"
which is what I want.
    2) any mail sent to user "al" is delivered to user "root" (I suspect
mail to ANY user would be delivered to root as well).
    3) my aliases file does NOT have "al" anywhere on the left, only on the
right followind root:
    4) When these SAME files are transfered back to the other box, all mail
is delivered correctly..

WHAT THE HELL DID I MISS... Only have two strands of hair left and I'm
tugging on them now.. Any ideas of what I did (external to the /etc/postfix
directory) when I initially installed it that I didnt do on the new box? Why
is "root" getting ALL the external email, and why isnt *that* being
forwarded to "al" like the cron messages etc?

'Preciate any light anyone can spill on this problem.

Al Gatton