Re: Tonight's meeting

I never make it to meetings because I am in Champaign and taking night
classes,
but I want to say that I'm glad to see Blender being introduced. I've
been using Blender
for the last three years, first on Windows and now on both (Linux at
home, Windows at
work). In fact, it was the Blender community that initially got me
interested in Linux.

The graphics and animations I create with Blender are appearing in many
of our newer
Planetarium shows. There's a built-in editor that has some neat
compositing tools, and
many output options. The interface is indimidating at first, but well
worth it.

For anyone who's interested, there's more information on Blender
available at
www.blender.org  (the official site) and www.elysiun.com  (the most
active community site).

Have fun!

-Waylena

Waylena M. McCully,
Production Designer/Producer
William M. Staerkel Planetarium
(217) 403-4596
wmccully@parkland.edu

>>> erich@museum.state.il.us 09/09/03 08:20AM >>>
Hi all,
  I have come across a repackaging of Knoppix, going by the name of
"Media
Linux". This contains all of the multimedia packages available under
Debian. I thought that I would have it running on a number of the
machines
in the Technology Learning Center of the ISM RCC, so maybe we can
wander
together through the variety of programs available.
  This version of Knoppix also contains the 3d modeling/animation
software
called "blender" so I can also give a very basic introduction to this
powerful (and confusing) software.

  As usual, the meeting will be at the Illinois State Museum Research
and
Collections Center, located at 1011 East Ash Street, and accessed from
10
1/2 street.

Erich

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab
email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/