Re: Debian Install Help

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 17:43, Chad Fendt wrote:
> So I'm trying to move from redhat to debian and
> I've run into a problem. Debian can't seem to
> find my hard drive.  I have an Asus A7V133 which
> has an onboard Raid controller.  Google said that
> the apparent work around for this is to use the
> idepci installation kernel.  I think there are
> 2 ways of doing this:
>
> 1: boot from cds and at prompt type - linux idepci
> 2: boot rescue and root idepci floppies and continue
> the installation.
>
> Neither of these methods allow the installer to
> find my hard drives.  I am sure that the idepci
> kernel is being loaded, but still no HD detection
> Are there modules I should be loading,
> or am I doing something wrong? any ideas?

Your RAID controller may be too new.  Debian 3.0 installs with a 2.2
kernel by default, and the hardware support in 2.2 is quite old.

Debian does provide kernel 2.4 boot floppies; look for the "bf2.4" boot
floppies.  You might have better luck with that.  If you have a full
official CD set, try booting from CD 5.
--
Jeff Licquia <jeff@licquia.org>