Apt for RPM question, blocking certain rpms

Hi,
  Well, I have a special-purpose RedHat installation in which I must not
install the PHP, gd-devel, and other rpm packages because they get in the
way of the special-purpose by muddy-ing up the versions.
  I'm afraid of my poor memory getting in me in trouble when I do
upgrades or installs, so I was looking for an option that would tell apt
to not install certain packages without a force. I figure it must be in
there because that is just about how the kernel packages work, but the man
pages all seem to be the original debian-based, so don't have rpm-specific
information.
  I'm still searching as I send this, so I'll probably answer my own
question, but making my questions public often seems to be a catalyst for
my mind.

eks

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/