Re: SVCD copy -- ugh, lots of issues ...

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 16:21, Chad Fendt wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to make a copy of a CD
> which has an SVCD formatted movie on
> it.  What is the best way to do this?
> Can I just use dd to copy from my
> CD drive to my CDRW drive, i.e.
> "dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdd bs=1024"?
> Or is it more complicated?
> Thanks in advance

Er, it's not that it's more complicated on the "duplication" end, but
it's more complicated on the "player compatibility" end.

First off, the _physical_ disc organization of CD-ROM and CD-R (optical
linear track) are massively different than CD-RW (magneto optical, MO,
pie-sector).  I could spend at least 10 posts on this, but I'll suggest
you look for my e-mail address in a Google search.  MO media, like
CD-RW, DVD-RW and DVD+RW, is a study in itself.

So, secondly, I assume your SVCD is simple a single ISO9660 Yellow Book
track (commonly associated with a ".iso" file).  If so, you were on the
right track.  I would do the following to copy from a CD-ROM to a CD-R:
  dd if=/dev/hdc of=/tmp/scvd.iso
  cdrecord dev=(get cd-rw device) scvd.iso

Record to an actual CD-R, not a CD-RW.  Again, the physical organization
of the two is drastically different, which introduces player
incompatibility.  In the worst of cases, you can decrease the lifespan
of older readers by using CD-RW discs with CD-R emulated organization.

[ Atop of that, you can even reduce the lifespan of your rewriter by
using the wrong CD-RW media -- e.g., CAV in a CLV and, especially,
vice-versa.  I like to call CAV CD-RW media as CD+RW media, and drives
that support CAV rewriting CD+RW drives. ;-]

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.  mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org  http://thebs.org
CCDP LPIC-2 MasCIWA MCSE2K+Sec RHCE9 SCNA8 SCSecA9 +20 more certs