Re: A7N8X-X and AMD 2800 XP CPU

ah, I finally found some good documentation answering my question.... never mind.
:)

Travite Davies <travitedavies@yahoo.com> wrote:

I use my hardware until it is practically dead, so it is usually about a good 3 years before I ever upgrade, so in between that time I get a little rusty on what going on hardware wise. maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but I'd like to get your input on it if I could.

I am putting a New Linux Box together and I  bought an ASUS A7N8X-X and AMD 2800 XP CPU.  (I haven't put it together yet) I think I may have misunderstood the CPU specs for the MB when reading them from your website.
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X-X&langs=09
 The reason I think so is the website's specs for what cpu the MB needs looks like this "Socket A for AMD® Athlon™XP/ Athlon™/ Duron™ 600MHz ~ 3000+
" and the book that came with the board says Socket A for AMD duron/Athlon/Athlon XP 3000+ or higher" My question is, If I install the CPU to the MB will it automatically overclock the CPU?  Or a better way to ask this is will it detect it as a XP 2800 running at 2.083GHz  or will it detect it as a 3000+ (overclocking it to 2.167GHz ), and making it run hotter than it has to?
I bought the board with the intention of upgrading the chip later when the Athlon 3200+ goes down in price.

I also purchased DDR 3200 400MHz Memory just to clarify.

Please let me know if I need to take the board back to the shop and purchase another Board (if so what would you recommend).
Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give me.
Sincerely
Travis Davies

Do you Yahoo!?

Do you Yahoo!?