Re: Fedora Core == Linux?

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 15:54, Gary wrote:
> Hi Bryan,
> As I said, they are now picking up support. EXACT dates below as you
> indicated. A FULL 11 days away... give me a break.

Okay, let's step back (note the "anal" tags ;-).  Progeny is only
redistributing Red Hat's packages right now.  They are not offering
their own, rolled packages as of yet.

But back to the original point, we're at least 6 months away from Fedora
dropping support for FC 1, so speculation is all we have.  As soon as
Progeny sees a "threshold crossed" in Fedora adoption by businesses that
Progeny deals with, then you'll see an announcement.

At this time, I doubt they know either way.

> Who said Progeny is going to support Fedora at all?

Who said Progeny was going to support RHL 7.x-8 months before
end-of-life???  That's my point.  It's all speculation at this time.

> Are you going to bet your business on it?

My point exactly.  How long will Progeny provide services?

> Not for me personally, I would never pay that for a Linux OS. Not when
> there is SUSE or Libranet around. SUSE offers everything for about $79 and
> 2 full years of support.  If a client pays for it, fine, no problem.

If 2 years is what you want, then SuSE sounds like a good OS for the
price.  If you need more than 2 years, especially if you need 5+, then I
think RHEL has a fair price for that kinds of support.

Understand your point that you "would never pay that for a Linux OS,"
and I assume that's because you don't need 5 years support.  Apparently
Red Hat feels it has customers that do.

> On Progeny's survey, they asked how long would you keep your current
> release, and this ranged, IIRC, from 6 months, to a yr, or more than a yr,
> something like that. I did not see any mention of Progeny support for FC1,
> although I have not researched it thoroughly.

If it was only 12-18 months max, then there's probably enough interest
by commercial entities to make "Fedora Legacy" viable, beyond the 6-9
(or even 12) months Red Hat will throw people at it.  If this is the
case, then it would not be profitable for Progeny to support it.  If
not, then you might see Progeny offer it for a year after FC
end-of-lifing.

In any case community or commercial, and this is admittedly 100%
speculation, I see Fedora Core being supported for 18 months.  But that
is just my speculation.

Me?  I'm shouving out $179 for a 2 year subscription to RHEL WS in
February when I upgrade to dual-Opteron.  Even SuSE Linux Professional
is $129 for the x86-64 version and, as you said, only supported 2
years.  I'm planning to run FC under UML (and have repeatedly suggested
to Red Hat that it is in their best interest for RHEL sales to make sure
it comes with a UML package, and release FC in a UML bundle).

My home habits typically drive my consulting recommendations as well,
the Linux systems I support run 3+ years.  Add in the question of SuSE's
continued "split product lines" and IHV/ISV certification across both,
and I like the single RHEL approach.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.  mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org  http://thebs.org
CCDP LPIC-2 MasCIWA MCSE2K+Sec RHCE9 SCNA8 SCSecA9 +20 more certs