Re: Shutdown vs Sleep

> Ok, I know this topic has been hashed and rehashed, but after a few
> googles I haven't found any firm proof one way or the other.  We'd
> like to have everyone leave their machines on at night for maintenance
> reasons, but the VP's would like firm proof (ie newsgroup flame wars
> don't count) that this won't harm the machines.

That probably depends.  It's not unfrequent to find my machine broke
after someone has done 'maintenance'.

>  Has anyone seen any
> firm studies or research on this?

Its usually turning them on and off, heating and cooling the boards that
is hard on the computer, not leaving them on.  Leaving them off would
save some electricity.  But in the big picture of things,  the VP's are
probably spending more by making more work to maintain things than he'd
spend on part failures.  But I don't have firm proof.

Mark