Re: OT: Shutdown vs Sleep

I've got some anecdotal evidence for you... :)

The workstation on my desk (which had a clean SuSE installed a few
months ago):
dsauer@newwww:~ > uptime
   4:34pm  up 92 days,  7:31,  4 users,  load average: 1.17, 1.07, 1.06
A semi-random MacOS X box (we had a power failure 2 weeks ago and a
concurrent building-wide UPS failure - which didn't affect the stuff on
the sysadmin's desk):
bash-2.05a$ uptime
  4:38PM  up 13 days,  5:29, 2 users, load averages: 1.10, 1.28, 1.26

All are running dnetc clients (like everything at this office), BTW,
which explains the 1.x load...

It's not documented outside of this post, but I've been senior sysadmin
at this company for about 4 years now.  Within a few months of my
starting here, I standardized the practice of leaving machines turned on
24x7.  Out of the 60 or so machines I support here and the 15 or so
off-site machines that stay on 24x7, I've had 4 hardware failures.  3
were IBM 75GXP drives (which were recalled because they regularly die),
and one was a Toshiba Laptop.  At my previous place of employment - a
community college - my wing (about 250 nodes) subscribed to the 24x7
machine mentality.  A couple of the other wings subscribed to the "turn
it off at night" school of thought.  The whole school pulled hardware
from the same supplier - Gateway.  Hardware failures were *less*
frequent in my wing than in the power-cycling wings over the 3 years I
spent there, and it appeared to me that we had fewer software problems.
  The software problems could have been attributed to my mad setup
skillz, though the hardware was identical.

I can make a graph and print it on some letterhead if you need an
"official" source stating that 24x7 operation is good for machines.  I'm
convinced, though.  Running at 100% load 24x7 hasn't hurt any of these
machines, and several of them are reaching end-of-life.

--Danny