Re: dns forwarding

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 03:00:22PM -0600, Danny Sauer wrote:
> So, let's say that I have 2 DNS servers running bind 8.x.

I'd say upgrade them to 9.x before they're rooted.  :-)

> If one's asked to resolve a domain and it doesn't have that domain in
> its cache, I want it to ask the other before initiating a full
> recursive lookup on an internal machine's behalf.

You might want to ask on a BIND list, but I really don't think what
you want to do can be done.  I think you're stuck with each named
looking up any given address once on its own.

Generally speaking, resolvers aren't handled round-robin anyway, so
the first nameserver listed (either in resolv.conf or DHCP) is going
to get most of the traffic.