SnapGear

I figured that I'd pass along this nifty little firewall thing that I
picked up recently.  SnapGear (www.snapgear.com) makes several cool
little embedded Linux firewall things - I picked up a "Lite 2" recently.
(https://www.snapgear.com/lite.html)  It does the typical NAT, DHCP
server, NTP server stuff, but it's actually configurable.

In addition to being able to edit [most of] the config files that you'd
expect to be editable on a real linux box (I added some custom options
to dhcpd.conf for the Mac OS X boxes here), and being able to set up
some basic packet filtering with a pretty GUI interface, you can stick
in custom iptables rules in addition to or in place of the built-in
firewall stuff (which is already pretty complete, BTW).  It's go an IDS
that'll basically set up a honeypot and block anyone who connects to
those ports, or anyone who runs a general scan.  It'll act as a PPTP or
IPSEC client and/or server.  It'll let you do static routing, and can do
IP aliasing on the interfaces.  It's got a serial port that you can use
(with an external modem) as the WAN link with diald, or as a failover if
the mail WAN link goes down, or set up as a dial-in server for either
remote admin or just remote access.  It'll support several of the
dynamic DNS sites, and will act as a DNS proxy.  You can change its MAC
address to match your windows PC's card so your Chambana cable modem
will work. :)  They've got some software that lets you admin several of
the things remotely - which is what I'm hoping to do, as we've got
several off-site people on broadband running "that other OS that's full
of holes".

I know this thing isn't for everyone, as it's not a "real" computer and
you're sortof at the mercy of SnapGear to keep it up to date. - but the
one I got is running a 2.4.20 kernel, which is the October firmware, and
there's a firmware update that I haven't gotten on there yet.  They seem
to be good about keeping up-to-date.

Anyway, I think it's cool, and at $200, it's a lot cheaper (and a lot
faster to boot up) than most full-blown PCs.  Heck, it's worth the
couple hundred bucks in my view just to get VPN software that's easy to
set up *and* works well with windows. ;)  The only thing it's missing is
a wireless interface - I'd really like to have one of these that could
act as the wireless access point, too...

--Danny