the problem of spam

At the meeting last night, Steve pointed out that he's rejecting 45% of
the email on a particular server.  That's terrible.  The mail server
here at work's more terrible, though. :)  Last month, I rejected 88% of
the incoming mail as spam.  Our regular email is remaining pretty
constant, but the level of spam we get is just out of control.  This,
BTW, is the result of rejecting everything from Korea, some other known
spammers, postfix filtering out bad HELO addresses, bad local addresses,
etc, and everything spamassassin thinks is spam (for 4 of our heaviest
users, with a threshold of 5 for all but me - I run a threshold of 4 and
have had 1 false positive in the last 6 months, but that one really did
look like spam).  Several of the incoming messages are my misconfigured
Nagios install notifying me that services are down, too, so we really
get a higher percentage of spam than this...

Spam is a real problem.

--Danny, who finds this interesting and very bothersome, all at the same
time

February, 2004 (so far)
ham: 50560    spam: 256346
83.5% spam out of 306906 total

January, 2004
ham: 32836    spam: 245116
88.1% spam out of 277952 total

December, 2003
ham: 47023    spam: 100271
68% spam out of 147294 total

November, 2003
ham: 56184    spam: 106883
65.5% spam out of 163067 total

October, 2003
ham: 51954    spam: 59442
53.3% spam out of 111396 total

September, 2003
ham: 57257    spam: 24154
29.6% spam out of 81411 total

August, 2003
ham: 37002    spam: 40199
52% spam out of 77201 total

July, 2003
ham: 28167    spam: 16196
36.5% spam out of 44363 total

June, 2003
ham: 30387    spam: 17476
36.5% spam out of 47863 total

Prior to June, I had fewer anti-spam rules in place, but the percentages
are pretty constant at 20%-30% rejected as spam.