Re: Xandros reviews -- emulating Windows, bug for bug, even

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 07:53, Danny Sauer wrote:
>
>>There's a "free" 180-day demo version bundled with this month's SysAdmin
>>Magazine, and some kind of "teach yourself windows if you're a unix
>>person" thing provided by MS.  Maybe that's what SA mag's doing to make
>>up for that loss of the Perl Journal - selling out... ;)
>
> Microsoft Services for UNIX (SFU) isn't a bad product.  It has some nice
> integration options.  I've been using it since version 1.0 on corporate
> networks (back when it was $149/system).
>
> There's nothing wrong with SA carrying it.  SA is a good mag.

Yeah, it's completely understandable for SA - "The journal for UNIX
systems administrators" - to have a giant advertisement for MS Windows
2003 server containing an install disk (for 2K3 server - SFU is
something else you can download if you don't want cygwin's more current
versions of the same things or if you're sadistic enough to want a
windows NIS server) and a training disk plastered over the front of the
magazine, obscuring the list of articles that I actually wanted to see... :)

I like SA (it's easily my favorite tech magazine), and understand that
"UNIX administrators" have to interoperate with (and sometimes maintain)
WinServers, but that giant MS ad just isn't what I expected in a
magazine whose target audience is not people who generally have good
feelings toward MS.  Esp. when the ad mostly describes how to migrate
away from those "legacy" *nix systems...  I'd expect the 3 or 4 SA
readers who are also interested in trying out 2K3 server to be able to
find the page at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/evalkit.mspx
where they can download the ISO and get a registration number, anyway.

--Danny, who personally doesn't run any MS "server" systems, because
they don't work best for his needs - they may work for others, though,
and that's just fine