ALSA MIDI help needed

OK, after years of putting it off, I finally caved and decided to upgrade to ALSA, or actually
wanted to use some software which required it. I'm running debian testing with a 2.6 kernel, I
used the standard debian ALSA, the PCM side is fine, as is OSS emulation I can play using either
ALSA or OSS apps.

The midi ports show up fine, but no matter which port I try I can't get a sound out of the MIDI
synth.

# pmidi -l
 Port     Client name                       Port name
 64:0     Rawmidi 0 - Sound Blaster 16 M    Sound Blaster 16 MPU-401
 65:0     Emu8000 WaveTable                 Emu8000 Port 0
 65:1     Emu8000 WaveTable                 Emu8000 Port 1
 65:2     Emu8000 WaveTable                 Emu8000 Port 2
 65:3     Emu8000 WaveTable                 Emu8000 Port 3
 66:0     OPL3 FM synth                     OPL3 FM Port

I tried using all of the above ports, I'd have expected only the FM Synth to work, as under OSS,
you have to load sbk or sf2 soundfont files into the WaveTable to get any noise, this was handled
by sfxload, but now I'm running ALSA it doesn't work, and I can't find any info in the ALSA docs
or Wiki on this. I've done the obvious and checked the mixer etc amixer output below.

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%]
Simple mixer control 'Bass',0
  Capabilities: volume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 15
  Mono: 11 [73%]
  Front Left:
  Front Right:
Simple mixer control 'Treble',0
  Capabilities: volume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 15
  Mono: 11 [73%]
  Front Left:
  Front Right:
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 21 [68%]
  Front Right: Playback 21 [68%]
Simple mixer control 'Synth',0
  Capabilities: pvolume cswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Synth Bass',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 11
  Mono: 8 [73%]
Simple mixer control 'Synth Treble',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 11
  Mono: 8 [73%]
Simple mixer control 'FM Chorus Depth',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 255
  Mono: 0 [0%]
Simple mixer control 'FM Reverb Depth',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 255
  Mono: 180 [71%]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch cswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 21 [68%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 21 [68%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch cswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 21 [68%] [on] Capture [off]
  Front Right: Playback 21 [68%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
  Front Left: Capture [off]
  Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Auto Gain',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'PC Speaker',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 3
  Mono: 2 [67%]
Simple mixer control 'Playback',0
  Capabilities: volume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 3
  Mono: 2 [67%]
  Front Left:
  Front Right:
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 3
  Front Left: Capture 2 [67%]
  Front Right: Capture 2 [67%]
Simple mixer control '3D Enhancement',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Chorus Mode',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 31
  Mono: 2 [6%]
Simple mixer control 'Reverb Mode',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 31
  Mono: 4 [13%]

x x/proc/asound/version:                                                     x x
x x====================                                                      x x
x xAdvanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.2c (Thu Feb 05 15:41:x x
x xCompiled on Feb 21 2004 for kernel 2.6.3-1-k7.                            x x
x x                                                                          x x
x x/proc/asound/cards:                                                       x x
x x===================                                                       x x
x x0 [S16            ]: SB AWE - Sound Blaster 16                            x x
x x                     Sound Blaster 16 at 0x220, irq 5, dma 1&5            x x
x x                                                                          x x
x x/proc/asound/devices:                                                     x x
x x=====================                                                     x x
x x  1:       : sequencer                                                    x x
x x  0: [0- 0]: ctl                                                          x x
x x  4: [0- 0]: hardware dependent                                           x x
x x  8: [0- 0]: raw midi                                                     x x
x x 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback                                       x x
x x 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture                                        x x
x x  6: [0- 2]: hardware dependent                                           x x
x x  9: [0- 1]: raw midi                                                     x x
x x 10: [0- 2]: raw midi                                                     x x
x x 17: [0- 1]: digital audio playback                                       x x
x x 33:       : timer                                                        x x
x x                                                                          x x
x x/proc/asound/oss/devices:                                                 x x
x x=========================                                                 x x
x x 10: [0-10]: hardware dependent                                           x x
x x  2: [0- 2]: raw midi                                                     x x
x x 13: [0-13]: raw midi                                                     x x
x x  1:       : sequencer                                                    x x
x x  8:       : sequencer                                                    x x
x x                                                                          x x
x x/proc/asound/timers:                                                      x x
x x====================                                                      x x
x xG0: system timer : 1000.000us (10000000 ticks)                            x x
x xP0-0-0: PCM playback 0-0-0 : SLAVE                                        x x
x xP0-0-1: PCM capture 0-0-1 : SLAVE                                         x x
x xP0-1-0: PCM playback 0-1-0 : SLAVE                                        x x
x x                                                                          x x
x x/proc/asound/pcm:                                                         x x
x x00-00: SB16 DSP : DSP v4.16 : playback 1 : capture 1                      x x
x x00-01: Emu8000 PCM :  : playback 1                                        x x

=====