Re: Tar question

Sort of answered my own question. I downloaded and install star:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/star.html

an enhanced version of tar that includes a name-modification option:

     -s replstr
          Modify file or archive member names named by a  pattern
          according  to the substitution expression replstr.  The
          format of replstr is:

               -s /old/new/[gp]

eks

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Erich Schroeder wrote:

> I can't believe that I'm asking a question about tar. I have a tar archive
> that has files which were created with '../' in them. Now it complains
> when I try to extract. Is there a way to rewrite the pathnames at the time
> of extraction?
>
> I don't see it in man or info.
>
> eks

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/