Re: Advansys SCSI Controller and Fedora 2 kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 02:18:18PM -0500, Erich Schroeder wrote:
>   Last week I ran apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and rendered my FC2
> system unbootable. I had been using the atp from fedora.us, which allows
> automatic kernel updating, and doesn't allow duplicate copies of the
> kernel to be installed.

Are you sure you don't (didn't) have something messed up in your apt
configuration?  The fedora.us apt happily installs new kernels for me,
and never removes them.  For example, my laptop currently has the
following:

  $ rpm -q apt kernel | sort
  apt-0.5.15cnc6-0.fdr.11.2
  kernel-2.6.6-1.435
  kernel-2.6.6-1.435.2.3
  kernel-2.6.7-1.494.2.2

>   I was due for reinstallation anyway on my desktop machine (too much
> cruft) so I don't mind greatly, but.

You don't need to reinstall to fix that problem.  Just boot from the
rescue CD or some other media and reinstall the old kernel (rpm -ivh
--oldpackage).

> If apt is configured to allow duplicate copies of kernel, it just
> fails to add the new kernel to grub.conf but leaves the system
> rebootable.

Ah, so you *did* have something screwed up in your apt configuration.  :-)

Auto-removing kernels *will* bite you in the ass sooner or later.
Always remove old kernels after successfully booting new ones.  And it
is always a good idea to keep an old kernel or two around anyway, just
to be safe.

> So I have learned:
>
>   It's good to keep the kernel upgrades done by hand

I think you've learned the wrong lesson.  :-)

>   I'm very glad that several years ago I started keeping my data and OS on
> different partitions, even though I sometime run low on space.

Use LVM (the next time you reinstall).  Then you can shuffle around
your free disk fairly painlessly.