Re: Advansys SCSI Controller and Fedora 2 kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 12:54, Erich Schroeder wrote:
> Yup, I saw that. It's kind of a shame that it changed in a in-version
> upgrade, but otherwise it makes sense.

Fedora Core (FC) 2 is basically a Red Hat .0 release, probably the
"easiest transition yet" since 5.2 (last kernel 2.0 release) to Red Hat
Linux (RHL) 6.0.  Cygnus (now Red Hat) always said that ABI (application
_binary_ interface) compatibility would improve with GCC 3.

Current Red Hat Version ABI Compatibility:

Kern GCC    GLib  Community [Status]                Commercial [Status]
---- ------ ----  --------------------------------  -------------------
2.6  3.3-4  2.4*  FC 3 [Test 2.90]                  RHEL 4 [Alpha]
                 FC 2 [Current]
---- ------ ----  --------------------------------  -----------------
2.4  3.2-3  2.3*  FC 1 [Current] (9/13 [Legacy])    RHEL 3
                 FC 0.9 [Legacy] (fka RHL 9)
                 RHL 8.0* [EOL]
---- ------ ----  --------------------------------  -----------------
2.4  3.0-1* 2.2*  FC 0.7.3 [Legacy] (fka RHL 7.3)   RHEL 2.1
                 RHL 7.0*, 7.1, 7.2 [EOL]

[ *NOTES:
- In FC1/FC2, GLibC 2.4 is designated as glibc2, glibc as 2.3.
- Some initial .0 releases (non-updated) shipped a GLibC 2.y.9x which
were "betas" to the next y+1 release (7.0 included 2.1.9x, 8.0 included
2.2.9x).
- The last, _official_ release of GCC 2 was 2.8.1.1.  Any GCC 2.9y.x
release should be considered _experimental_ release by the Red
Hat-Cygnus team which became maintainer after 2.8.1.1.
i)  2.91.66 was considered the first GCC 2.x compatible release of EGCS
1.1.2.
ii)  There were many variants of 2.95.x with varying GCC 2.x
compatibilty, but added many needed features used by software, including
the kernel.  Some "lesser known" distributions shipped (and even a few
well known "offered") 2.95.4 which was _not_ considered valid for most
GCC 2.x software (only 2.95.1-3).
iii)  2.96 was tagged by the Red Hat-Cygnus GCC maintanier team when Red
Hat forked an near-GCC 3 released 2.95.x from CVS into development.
This CVS version was the first GCC version to offer IA-64/Itanium and
s390 targets, which Red Hat required for Red Hat Linux 7.0's release.
It had full GCC 2.x C compatibility, but the C++ compatibility was not
worked out for another 2 months (basically held up GCC 3.0's release).
GCC 3.0 is basically GCC 2.96 with the C++ issues resolved (even though
Red Hat maintains a specific GCC 2.96 versioned package for
disttag/versioning issues), and then shipped a "gcc3" package which is
GCC 3.1 and pretty much fully ABI compatibility with the GCC 2.96/3.0
(other than maybe some fixes that might be adverse with 2.96/3.0 built
software, which is why the GCC 2.96 version was maintained). ]

I really need to get this into a FAQ soon.  With all the "confusion"
about because of the "trademark fiasco," Red Hat people can't say
anything to defend themselves.  So yes, I have finally admitted that I
have fully taken on the role as the "Unofficial Red Hat Apologist."

But I've got other things to do (like finish up the LPI exams ... yes,
I'm logging on now! ;-).

> Very clear link, that. Thanks.

Just goes to show, Fedora _rules_!  APT-RPM is now perfected, I trust
the one from Fedora.US with the _official_ Core/Extras/Legacy
repositories (as well as Fedora.US-aligned Macromedia/Livna.ORG 3rd
Party repositories) like I do Debian Stable/Testing/Unstable.

> Yeah, I'll look into that sometime.

The cool thing is once you do it with one distro, the procedure works
with _any_ distro, _any_ flavor.  I teach people how to do this in my
7-day, GL090-series "Pre-Administration" training classes.

> The next time I'm avoiding my other work, I'll do that. Chances are, I'll
> remove the card when I move to FC3, as I'm not really in need of it.

LSI (Symbios Logic) 53c1010 (Ultra3/160) cards are $50 nowdays.

I'll always remember Advansys as the "first SCSI vendor to formally
support Linux" circa 1994.  LSI (Symbios Logic) also licensed their
ASICs and did enough vanilla OEM work that their Linux drivers were
solid.

Adaptec's Linux strategy is still "screwed up" (let alone a victim of
its neverending "OEM customization" approach) -- especially on the RAID
side.  Long story, I know the guys that work here at the Orlando support
center just 4 miles south in the massive, 1,000+ acre UCF Research Park.

--
Time to switch: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/switch.html