Re: An Open Letter to Red Hat: Guidelines for Fedora Core Releases

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Dear Red Hat:
>
> - For many know who I am ...
>
> I have commonly been labeled as a "Red Hat Apologist" for the last 4 or
> so years.  As much as I hate the title, referring to the definition of
> "apologist," I have to admit it is myself in the strict interpretation.
> I regularly take the time to explain when, how and why Red Hat is the
> greatest influence in the GPL world, the crucial GPL work Red Hat
> provides and how every product-based decision by Red Hat has been
> prompted by another company, but still in the community interest.  I've
> integrated many, many other distros (and still deploy Debian and Gentoo,
> as well as SuSE Enterprise Linus Server), so I'm not just one of those
> "I only use Red Hat" types -- just one of those "I only trust Red Hat
> for many applications" types based on almost a decade of Red Hat's
> "under-promise and over-deliver."

OK.

> I was one of many who appreciated the change to GLibC 2.0 in Red Hat
> Linux 5.0, recognizing that LibC 5 and Red Hat Linux 4.2 support was not
> dropped until Red Hat Linux 6.0 so everyone was taken care of.

I did too.

> appreciated the move to GCC 2.96/3, forcing C++ code to be ANSI
> compliant, and many other changes in Red Hat Linux 7[.0] onward.  I am
> also one of the very few that recognize that Red Hat tried to offer
> Enterprise SLAs on its single Red Hat Linux product line with Red Hat
> Linux 6.2"E", only to see SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) be
> released and more accepted by companies requiring Red Hat to follow
> suit.  And I understand all the issues and that lead to and can even
> appreciate the advantages for the community in the creation of the
> Fedora Project -- out of those with Sun and other commercial non-
> licensees who made the "Red Hat(R)" trademark an issue to the fact that
> Red Hat Linux as a product was not serving our interests anymore after
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux was introduced, and Fedora Core was a better
> move for everyone.

I agree it was, but they made the transition wrong.

> No Linux distribution has a history as proven, trusted and understood by
> its integrators.

I know where you're coming from but that's really an impossible
statement to qualify. I would disagree with you, but my statement about
another distribution wouldn't be anymore qualifiable.

> [...]
> Fedora Core 4, which should only be so (CL4.2) if it ships with the same
> GCC, GLibC as EL4.  If not, forget linear, solve this version non-sense.
>
> So from there, we go back to dot (.) versions.  Fedora Core 5.0 (CL5.0)
> and Fedora Core 5.1 (CL5.1) could differ in ABI compatibility, but once
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (EL5) is released, that "marks" the ABI
> "litmus test" of whether or not the next community revision is going to
> be Fedora Core 5.2 or Fedora Core 6.0.  That's all I'm asking for here.
>
> Red Hat doesn't have to guarantee a minimum of three 0-1-2 "Community
> Linux" (CL) versions for every "Enterprise Linux" (EL) like in the past.
> It would be nice to just know _when_ we've reached the "last" and most
> finalized/stable revision of the CL series that still matches an
> equivalent EL.  Again, there is no guarantees with Fedora Legacy for
> long-term support, but it would be nice to have that guidelines so the
> community can do so if it wishes.  Without such a guideline, my trust of
> Fedora Core will slip.
>
> Which means my complementary purchasing of RHEL will slip as well
> (especially with what Novell is up to -- see farther below).
>
> - The Court of Trusting Red Hat Integrators ...
>
> Now I'm sure many will scoff at this suggestion, and that's fine.  Red
> Hat has every right to believe it is impossible to follow these
> guidelines and state there has never been an official release model
> anyway, even in the Red Hat Linux 5, 6 and 7 days.  That might be the
> marketing line, but the reality is that Red Hat is starting to lose in
> the Court of Trusting Red Hat Integrators who have always been able to
> balance Red Hat Linux, now Fedora Core, alongside Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux.  The visibility of Red Hat Enterprise Linux as a complementary
> solution to Fedora Core is like Red Hat Linux before it, it only lasts
> as long as we trust it.
>
> This means I don't see Red Hat as, the same as most other Trusting Red
> Hat Integrators, a so-called "greedy" company.  Especially since the
> "Enterprise" product was SuSE's idea in the first place and "won out"
> over ideas like Red Hat Linux 6.2"E" because the market just prefers it.
> This is despite my professional preference of approaches like old Red
> Hat, now heralded by companies like Progeny -- "Enterprise Releases" is
> merely an extension of internal configuration management of a single
> development line (long story and tangent).
>
> Furthermore, I don't consider CentOS, White Box Enterprise Linux or any
> other source RPM (SRPM) rebuild solution to be an "alternative" either.
> I agree 100% with Red Hat CTO Michael Tiemann's varying comments on RHEL
> as a SLA guaranteed product, and how Fedora fits in as its complement,
> which these community rebuilds do not address at all.  Even though CAos
> maintains their own Fedora Core equivalent too -- it's still reliant on
> how Fedora Core is developed, just like RHEL too.  So it that project

I agree with a lot of this above, however I do think something
fundamental has been overlooked. The wrong people at Red Hat are making
the decisions. Talk with some of the many folks who've left Red Hat. I
appreciate all that Red Hat has done for the open source community and
what they continue to do. While it's not my distribution of choice, I'll
hardly run around bashing it. I used it for many years and there's still
good stuff coming out of Red Hat. The problems you're talking about
right now stem from the same thing that made the transition from Red Hat
Linux to Fedora a PR nightmare. That is that Red Hat is a publicly
traded company who in the last few years ended up in a corner and the
wrong people were able to influence decisions too much.

> Which brings me to Novell.
> Novell is quickly turning SuSE into the Fedora-like release and
> trademark of its portfolio.  Novell, unlike Red Hat, _does_ maintain a
> versioning match between it's continuing SuSE Linux releases and its
> newfound Novell Linux product line.  Novell has begun the first fully
> redistributable, GPL-centric releases of SuSE Linux 9.x in full CD/DVD
> set form, no restrictions (unlike SuSE before).  And from the looks of
> it, it looks like SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) will be sporting a
> Novell(R) trademark instead for version 10.  All while Novell mirrors
> the, now lesser, SuSE trademark after the Fedora approach -- which will
> be required as more and more distributions become SuSE-based forcing the
> issue (which those of us who understand US trademark law actually
> followed and understood Red Hat's moves of the same).
>

> Now SuSE does not have history of Red Hat, both technically and
> community-wise, which makes me still hope.  And I've come to trust Red
> Hat's technical considerations over SuSE's, especially for UNIX file
> servers (which the majority of Linux integrators who are focused on web
> and application servers don't seem to understand why).  But Novell is
> re-writing that history, and I like what I see in the Novell Linux
> Desktop and the plans for the split version 10 line.  And Novell**
> _does_ seem to understand the distribution channel better than Red Hat**
> too.

I'd be careful here. SUSE (all caps since the acquisition) does not have
the extent of history that Red Hat has in the US. Globally however, SUSE
has a very significant community and technical history. While trusting
technical considerations is going to depend largely on experience, I
would certainly trust SUSE's long term technical considerations more
than Red Hat's. Let me reiterate, that is not at all a comment about Red
Hat's technical staff. I know left to themselves things would be much
better for all of us. Many of them are top notch.

> [ ** SIDE NOTE:  I see Sun's attitude towards Red Hat to be similar to
> Apple's towards IBM 20 years ago -- Novell is Sun's _real_ competitor,
> just like Microsoft was Apple's.  And like Apple, Sun is going to be
> blindsided by its agreements with Novell, just like Apple was with
> Microsoft, because they think Red Hat is their enemy, much like Apple
> thought IBM was. ]

Sun's problem is that they don't know who their real competitor is. The
Linux kernel is more of a threat to Sun than all of these companies put
together. They know Linux is their competitor, but they honestly have no
idea what that means. Right now their disposition is to copy what they
believe Linux's success centers around: open source (which is not
entirely accurate). Unless they realize what this is all about, they
will flounder indefinitely.

> Which means if Red Hat doesn't give us long-time, Red Hat trusting
> integrators the same, warm, fuzzy feeling of how Fedora core's release
> and versioning/revisioning will be handled, Novell is seemingly
> dedicated to doing much better with its new split SuSE-Novell release-
> product offerings.  I'm already benchmarking SuSE-Novell against Red Hat
> installations, and if I can verify the technical preferences I have, the
> release-product alignments are definitely looking better than what Red
> Hat is presenting.
>
> Which is why I'm writing this letter.  Because I'm not being critical of
> Red Hat as a company.  Everyone who knows Red Hat knows that Red Hat has
> donated far more to the Linux community, and continues to do so, more
> than even companies like IBM.  Red Hat's GPL focus and the software-side
> half of Bob Young's vision (even if you disagree with the other half of
> "cut-throat business" in his vision, the GPL-analness is to our benefit
> as a community regardless) will always win praise.

> Because Red Hat, the
> majority of the company, is one big collection of massive GPL projects,
> and not this "greedy" image the ignorant ABRH crowd proliferates.

I agree. It's too bad that small segment of Red Hat that fits the
proliferation has as much influence within Red Hat as they do.

> But the reality is that there is no excuse why Fedora Core can't be
> "unofficially" trusted like Red Hat Linux before it.  Especially with
> what Novell has been putting forth in SuSE, despite SuSE having no
> history that can touch Red Hat's prior to Novell's purchase.  And that's
> the opinion that even I, one considered to be one of the most and
> staunchest of "Red Hat Apologists," are starting to think.
> And that's not a good sign for Red Hat if Novell delivers.

I agree again. Competition is good. The Linux world can benefit from the
same thing every other free market benefits from. If Novell keeps going,
they will incite Red Hat to change. Also, vice versa. Innovation will
only get better and filter right back into Linux in general. *That* is
what will frustrate Sun, and Microsoft for that matter, to no end.

Thanks for the read, it was good stuff. I'd also be happy to get it
published for you if you're interested. I guarantee you your voice will
be heard.

Dean