Forwarding / Tunnelling DNS

Never to sure on my nomenclature.

My ISP captures all DNS traffic, so no matter what DNS server I may have
set in resolv.conf I always am using their DNS servers, this would be OK,
except they keep failing, and I am left with a working net link but no DNS
service.

I have a machine in the outside world, that I can use for DNS lookups (no
DNS server on it, but it's outwith my ISP's control).

I'm thinking the easiest way to do this is run a DNS server on my home
network, that just contacts this box via a non-standard port for DNS
lookups.

I've been looking at djbdns and pdnsd as options, neither seems to do
exactly what I need.

Whats the easiest way to do this, if I'm overengineering this, and could
acheive the same using iptables on my firewall, let me know?

herbie