Re: Moving server. DNS re-propogation question

Well here's some semi-noob language, mainly because I only have a vague
understanding of it myself, or at least the DNS part ;)

First of when you update the DNS files, you change the serial, increment
it by one is the normal way, the TTL is Time To Live, how long that
information should be regarded as reliable.

httpd.conf rarely has IP's in it, usually it has domain names that all are
resolved to the same IP.

You also need to change the IP address on the network interface (I assume,
as you say you are moving IP), ifconfig can be used to make this change
temporarily, but you should use what ever config files or tools are
relevant to your distro. In debian it's /etc/network/interfaces, in Redhat
it used to be under /etc/sysconfig if memory serves, there's probably a
config tool for it. Tell us your distro, we tell you where to find your
magic tool ;)

After the changes, most should propagate in a few hours, not days,
normally.

If this is a commercial server, and you have customers, I strongly suggest
you get someone familiar with all these intricacies in to oversee or just
make the changes for you. Lots of linux geeks out there can be had for
little money for one-off's. If it's your home project, good luck to you ;)

herbie