Re:

I think the entire American work ethic is insane. For your particular
issue, it might do to contact a lawyer, but in general do you not think
that working 70+ hours a week is ridiculous anyway, whether or not your
being paid for it? Such practice is illegal in other first world
countries, the European union for example, has a mandate on a bi-weekly
cap on hours whereby an employee can only work to a set maximum. Pasted
detail follows.

Directive 93/104/EC lays down provisions for a maximum 48 hour working
week (including overtime), rest periods and breaks and a minimum of four
weeks paid leave per year, to protect workers from adverse health and
safety risks.

     *  a maximum 48 hour working week averaged over a reference period;
     * a minimum daily rest period of 11 consecutive hours a day;
     * a rest break where the working day is longer than six hours;
     * a minimum rest period of one day a week; and
     * a statutory right to annual paid holiday of 4 weeks;
     * night working must not exceed eight hours a night on average

Normal hours of work for night workers must not exceed an average of eight
hours in any 24-hour period. Workers shall be entitled to a free health
check-up before being employed on night work and at regular intervals
thereafter. Anyone suffering from health problems connected with night
work must be transferred, wherever possible, to day work.