Re: This was posted on Digg.com -- Linux Distribution blog/article

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 01:13 -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> Unless they're O-rings, in which case the published temperature
> tolerances are just suggestions. :-)

It's ironic that you'd bring that up.

A materials change is what affected the O-Rings, not the original,
integration-tested design ...
  http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005/07/nasa-keeps-breaking-core-rule-of.html

What works for one implementation does _not_ necessarily work for
another.  This includes many of the CFC replacements for styrofoam.

That's why I think you can take your term (pun)"brittle"(pun) and shove
it.

Right now, such attitudes are why 7 more astronauts are dead.  People
who think they know better than the people who know the design inside
and out, and arrogantly assume that if it works for everyone you know,
it must work for everyone else.  Other sources are trusted instead of
those who know the platform, Material Reviews (MRs) overridden, etc...

The STS is a 100,000 BOM and it shouldn't be changed ... _ever_.  It was
regression and integration tested to mitigate the risk, and so far, it
has been *ONLY*CHANGES* that have *CAUSED* the deaths.  Changes that
_were_ known, but overridden in the belief that there is something
better -- especially since everyone else is using it and the supposed
replacement was "just as good" or "better."

> But I'm not trying to slam on NASA, or on you.  I'm trying to get you
> off your high horse,

Ummm, you need to be looking in the mirror at that.

I am on _no_ high horse.  But apparently you think you must convince me
that any use of Gentoo should be forbidden -- and that source cannot be
tested as well as a full-up distro.  Sorry, but will dilligence, I
_strongly_ disagree.

Tying an explicit BOM to an explicit software build can actually be
_better_.

Again, I have accused you of dodging my questions as much as you say
I've dodged yours.  At this point, just respect that we disagree.  Don't
tell me what I am and am not capable of.

I've at least had the respect _not_ to tell you what you are and aren't
capable of.

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com