Re: Old Debian install

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Blunier, Mark wrote:

> Note, that if you install an older version, but want to run the latest
> version, make sure that you update the system from one version to the
> next.  For instance, if you installed with Bo, upgrade from Bo to Hamm,
> Hamm to Slink, Slink to Potato, potato to woody, and woody to sarge.
> The older versions have less packages, but also a less automated install.
> I have an old 486 laptop that I have recently reinstalled debian.  Since
> it does not have a CD, I have to use floppys, the newer version would not work since I didn't have enough ram.  I installed an older version which worked, but as I upgraded to newer versions, the list of packages is so large, dselect uses up all the memory and the machine slows to a crawl swapping like mad trying to sort through the packages on an upgrade.

I'd debate the above. I used a slink boot CD to install woody, thats the
great thing about debian you never need to update your boot media ;)

I find simply letting it install the boot image and base from CD (or
floppies if we're old school) and then just allowing the net install of
the rest, it will install the latest 'stable' version happily.

Perhaps upgrading from versions older than slink are problematic?

herbie