Speech recognition?

So, Linux is all mature 'n stuff now.  And my wife hurt her right arm
(well, the nurse did - next time the life insurance people send an 83
year old shaky-handed nurse over to do the physical, we may elect to
have blood drawn elsewhere) so she can't type real well.  And I thought
"hey, maybe there's good speech recognition stuff out there!"  Hmph.
ViaVoice seems to have been gone for years, Sphinx looks promising but
doesn't seem to actually do anything aside from providing an engine you
can write a program around, etc.  Festival's got lots of neatness - if
I want my computer to read to me.  No, I want to dictate text to a
word processor.  XVoice appears to be an acceptable front end, but
since viavoice isn't available anymore and the sphinx conversion project
has stalled, well, it's not much help without a backend.
http://xvoice.sourceforge.net/xvoice-sphinx/

I could do this with ViaVoice nearly a decade ago.  What can I do that
with now?  Surely by now *someone* has developed something to keep my
wife from having to use the mouse and keyboard as much...

Does anyone have any experience / suggestions?  Other than hiring one
of those illegal immigrants for her to dictate through, after the
government grants them amnesty because it's just fine to break the law
if you take a crummy job and manage to hide the fact that  you're
breaking the law for long enough.  Hopefully her arm will better by then. :)

--Danny, also trying sylpheed but not yet really impressed