Email processing question

I've noticed it takes longer to send an email lately than it used to
take. I have accounts on several systems with different SMTP servers
and I notice the delay whether I'm using a Linux system or Windows.

Used to be from the time I clicked "send" until the message was on
it's way was a second or so. Now it happens slowly enough that a range
of connecting, sending, completed messages routinely appear. Most mail
is in the 3-8 second range, on one server it can be as much as 30 seconds.

Is all this do to safe guards against spam and virii or do all my
computers just have problems?

Tim