Re: Home Routers/Gateways

Steve, you mention "store". I am looking to get a new WRT54GL. Do you have a your own store and is it available form the web?

Thanks, Mark

-------Original Message-------

Date: 03/05/07 17:07:59
Cc: SILUG
Subject: Re: Home Routers/Gateways

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 04:13:58PM -0600, Tim McDonough wrote:
> I need a replacement for the home DSL router here. Wonder what you all
> might recommend as a solid unit that supports wired and wireless
> connections.

See the dd-wrt list of supported devices:

Right now I'd suggest either a Buffalo WHR-G54S or WHR-HP-G54, or a
Linksys WRT54GL.  (We are trying to keep all three on the shelf at the
store, BTW.)  With any of those, you'll *really* want to flash them
with either dd-wrt or openwrt as soon as you verify that the router
works.

> I need something with port forwarding. There are two Linux machines
> here available to the outside world for SSH, SMTP, and POP services.

If you run openwrt, you can run openvpn on the box and eliminate the
need for port forwarding.  :-)

steve@silug.org           | Southern Illinois Linux Users Group
(618)398-3000             | See web site for meeting details.
Steven Pritchard          | http://www.silug.org/