CentOS 5 or Ubuntu 6.06 for remote desktop?

Hey,
I have a remote user in Lafayette that I am going to
visit Thursday.  His computer is at fedora 5.  I am
wondering what would be a better way to go either to
move him to centos 5.1 or Ubuntu 6.06?  I am looking
for a long term supported distro for the desktop, but
I have a budget.  (read the VP is cheap)
So far I have occasionally just ssh'ed into the box
and have done upgrades, but ran into a problem with a
later kernel and had to walk him through the grub
menus to select an older kernel.
Any recommendations?  Also, any good guides to walk me
through setting up all the latest web codecs and
current repos of user apps (firefox, openoffice, ...)?
The box is a few years old P4 1.6Ghz, 512 MB RAM,
integrated Intel graphics, HP business desktop.  The
only other thing is that it needs to support a HP
multifunction device fine and a digital camera.  With
some sweat and tears I got the HPLIP to work on fedora
5.

Thanks
Derek