Wireless Wi-Bee problems

Has anyone any experience with these RTL8187 based devices?

I have a linux box acting as a firewall / nat for the house, with an
external and internal nic, the internal is the 10.x.x.x private network.
I'm trying to add a wireless 'guest' network, for the wifes new laptop,
and any friends passing through.

The device is detected OK, but I can't seem to apply any settings to it,
it shows up as wlan0 (with the wmaster as well), if I set up the IP
address on it using ifconfig

ifconfig wlan0 10.0.0.33 netmask 255.255.255.0

that seems to work OK, but then if I attempt to set up the wireless
parameters with iwconfig

iwconfig wlan0 mode Ad-Hoc essid Hairy channel 7

I get the following error

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
     SET failed on device wlan0 ; Device or resource busy.

Likewise if I setup the wireless parameters first, using the same iwconfig
line, then attempt to set an IP address I get the following error.

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not supported

Seems like a Catch-22 to me.

I even tried setting it all up in /etc/network/interfaces (debian box) and
the system failed to bring up the interface.

Also about modes, iwconfig lists several modes, Managed, Ad-Hoc, Master,
Secondary, Auto and so on, of these I would have thought Master is the one
for me, but only Ad-Hoc and Managed seem to work.

Usual detrius: kernel is 2.6.24 or 2.6.25 depending which machine I'm
trying it on.

herbie